After five successful years at the helm, Black Swan Co-CEO and Artistic Director Clare Watson has announced she’s officially stepping down at the end of 2021.
Clare has played a central leadership role in the development of Black Swan over the last five years. Although Clare’s announced she’s stepping down from the role of Artistic Director at the end of 2021, Clare will stay on with us throughout most of 2022 to help achieve a seamless handover, and to direct several projects including an international tour.
Clare’s cultural leadership has taken Black Swan on a transformational journey of artistic direction, hallmarked by opening the door of our State theatre company to welcome to the stage voices of First Nations artists, artists living with disability, gender diverse and CALD artists.
As an artist, Clare questions the status quo to create original theatre by promoting empathy and building community through collaboration. We’re especially grateful for Clare’s invaluable contribution to re-engage Black Swan with Perth Festival.
Black Swan has been privileged to be part of Clare’s journey so far, and as she moves forward in her career, we’ll build on all she has given us, and continue to tap into her extraordinary talents through 2021-22.
Clare’s career highlights include:
- Leading several co-presentations including Tim Winton’s Cloud Street, You Know We Belong Together, Our Town, and The Cherry Orchard.
- Directing nine works on stage and commissioning nine new theatre works including the current season of York.
- Creating activations and conversations to accompany the core program of work, to engage new audiences.
- Building sector collaborations including co-productions with Barking Gecko, Yirra Yaakin, WAYTCo, DADAA, and The Blue Room Theatre.
- Programming to help raise Black Swan’s profile and recognition for quality theatre, including increased 4 and 5 Star reviews, PAWA Awards and nominations.
- Leading a co-production with the Sydney Theatre Company – presenting The Torrents at the Sydney Opera House.
- Being invited to tour a work internationally (You Know We Belong Together).